Musical Audition Masterclass
Theatre Three’s new educational offering taught by Wendy Welch and James McQuillen
What Do I Sing?
Where Do I Look?
Will My Knees EVER Stop Shaking?
An intentional empowering approach to Musical Theater Auditioning for singers, actors and everyone in between that answers all the whats and hows.
Session #1: Monday, September 11, 2017 from 7-10pm
(tuition of $150 is due in full on September 6th)
Session #2: Monday, October 23, 2017 from 7-10pm
(tuition of $150 is due in full on October 18th)
• Attend one session or attend both! The class is repeatable, and can be attended by an individual as many times as they like. We hope to add more class sessions in the spring.
• Each student will get individual instruction time
• Tuition must be paid in full by the due date prior to session start date
• The class is for both the novice and the more experienced performer
• Class will cover the practicalities of auditions, the technique of musical theatre auditioning, the technicalities of the audition, acting the song, “how do I walk in the door and where do I look?”, song selections and MORE
• Bring your audition song book if you have one. Bring something to take notes in, and something to write with, please.
• Minimum attendance 8, maximum 15. The minimum age for students is 16. Classes will be held in Theatre Too.
OR Call us at (214) 871-3300
Wendy Welch graduated from the Acting Program at SMU and studied at HB Studio in NYC. She was on the theater faculty at SMU, Northlake College, and taught at Richland College for 13 years, where she created the Musical Theater program, and directed a number of musicals. She has taught musical theater for the Dallas Ballet Center Summer Intensive for 12 years, and has taught and directed for the Lyric Stage Super Stars and the Teen Musical Theater Camp at Dallas Theater Center. She has had a private voice and coaching studio since 2000. has been active in the DFW theater community for over 3 decades, playing leading roles at WaterTower Theater, Dallas Children’s Theater, Theater Three, Stage West, Circle Theater, Casa Manana, Lyric Stage, Uptown Players, as well as CityRep OKC and USI/New Harmony, Ind. She has been the recipient of the Leon Rabin Award, and three Critics Forum awards.
Wendy is a 37-year member of Actor’s Equity Association. She is represented by the Mary Collins Agency and is active in the commercial/film/voice over industry.
James McQuillen is a teacher, music director and pianist, and is equally adept working with actors, musical theatre performers and opera singers. He has taught classes on acting through song, auditioning and creativity for Southern Methodist University, Binghamton University (SUNY), University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, University of North Texas, Rocky Mountain College, University of Central Missouri and many theater companies across the country.
His work as music director includes The 3 Redneck Tenors (national tour), Whodunit: The Musical (York Theatre Company – NYC), The Girl of 10,000 Smiles (Edinburgh Fringe), and The Golden Age of Broadway and Bernstein On Broadway (Crested Butte Music Festival). He has been music director of many productions in the past 17 years, among them Evita, Grey Gardens, A New Brain, Little Shop of Horrors, Violet, The Pajama Game, Closer Than Ever, Into the Woods, Side by Side by Sondheim, [title of show] and Master Class. As of August 2017, James is the new Director of Music at Casa Mañana, in addition to being Artistic Director of Casa Mañana’s new cabaret series.
Wendy Welch and James McQuillen have taught as a team since 2008 including the Musical Theater class at Richland College, and Master Classes at SMU and in private studios locally. Wendy has taught Master Classes in Musical Theater Audition at Oklahoma City University and University of Southern Indiana.